Thursday, January 26, 2006

tsukiai & crochet

What a long day today was...I had my bead crochet class.
We made this napkin holder.

And this necklace was a project that I wasn't finished with by the end of our last class.

Last night and tonight, Satoshi had "tsukiai" parties with co-workers. "Tsukiai" means association, and they do this by going drinking. Last night's "tsukiai" was a farewell party for some co-workers and tonight's "tsukiai" was a welcome party for new co-workers...why they couldn't put the two together is a bit odd to me. Ask Satoshi and he'll tell you that "tsukiai" is the MOST IMPORTANT LAW of being a company worker (salary-man as they are called here)...yeah, yeah...go drinking, but be able to wake up in the morning and don't fall asleep in the "furo" (bath)!

Anyway, since he didn't need dinner last night, I decided to make myself something simple, baked rotini with pesto cream sauce. It came out pretty good and I put together a salad to go with it.


After my class today, I popped into the Hanshin Department store. If you've ever gone shopping in a Japanese Department store, you'll know that in the basement they have their prepared foods and grocery section (for you aisle roamers out there this is the place to roam!). I went to check out the prepared area for a bento or something for dinner. I went to one of my favorite vendors, Mamehachiro. I like this vendor because they use a lot of beans in their dishes. I bought a seafood kakiage donburi. Kakiage is a kind of tempura. Tempura is usually shrimp or vegetables that are separately battered lightly and then fried crispy. Kakiage are different ingredients mixed together such as shredded carrots, sliced onions, green beans, corn which are lightly battered together then fried. Donburi means bowl. It was very filling.

I also bought myself dessert, ohagi. Ohagi is mochi rice that hasn't been pounded into mochi (rice cakes) yet, then is covered with "an" sweet red bean paste. This ohagi had a strawberry in it (sorry the picture is a bit blurred). It was very good and not too sweet.

I didn't have time to take a nap so I'm kind of hanging a bit...

9 comments:

bourgogne said...

your bead crochet work is really nice.

OHAGI!!! i've never had one with a strawberry in it. i like the ohagi with a smooth an outside. yum!

K and S said...

Thanks Bourgogne!

I think if the "an" is smooth, they call it something else.

Take care.

Kat & Satoshi

Journal Actif said...

Your crochet work is so nice. I envy you for taking that class. Sigh... But I have to choose my "battles" (understand cool activities) LOL.
Pasta gratin is comfort food and I love it, but your seafood kakiage donburi sounds even more comforting.
"See" you soon!

K and S said...

Hi Zoubida,

Thank you for the very nice compliment on my crochet. I still need LOTS of practice.

The seafood kakiage donburi was very good and as you said, "even more comforting".

Enjoy your weekend!

Kat & Satoshi

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a piece of work! Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Kat your bead crochet work is very interesting and it would be great if they had something like that here! I use to crochet as kid but it was only a simple hobby... I never mastered the more difficult loops and whatnot.

Thanks for the compliment that you left on my site but you know, (and I can only relate to you with this because lived in Hawaii), when I was a kid I was really da humbug type! I personally think some of this shows up in what and how I write. Cannot get the local lightheartedness out of me!

K and S said...

Hi Rowena,

Thanks for visiting.

I'm not too sure that crocheting with wire is very popular around the world. Let's just say that this hobby is a bit expensive. I think I'll look into crocheting with yarn next.

Looking forward your next delicious creation!

Kat & Satoshi

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat - you know I really miss Japan, but something I don't miss at all is tsukiai, I'm glad I don't have to do that here :) Your crochet looks beautiful!

K and S said...

Hi Keiko-
Congratulations on your blog award.
And your chocolate dessert looked awesome! (I'm thinking to get that cookbook, too!)

I can't understand the idea of "tsukiai" and am glad you don't have to do it where you are too! ;)

Thank you for your compliment on my crochet. I still need LOTS of practice.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kat & Satoshi